Friday, January 11, 2008

Slow Learners

Why were we left with so many responsibilities? Your questionable guidance, my perhaps overly rebellious tendencies... these things have begun to accumulate. I understand that it was slow, but that is how it tends to be. Slow the way a day dips into cold. The dirtying of a pillowcase. A groove in the wood. A loss of contact. Now I am on the stool and you are by the desk. I reach out to strike a piano key, and the note hangs. You look up from your square of lamplight. There is no smile on your face. One of us should have been more aware. I think you would call this failure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed, especially over the last 12 months of my life, that life tends to define failure for us. Annoyingly enough it tends to decide whether or not there's anything to learn too. Oh well, the best of a situation is always that and the worst is always undefinable.