Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A modern art exhibit


We laughed when we stood under the "monofrequency lighting," rubbing at our skin and touching each other's clothes. Yellow and black, everything. Even my bright pink coat. Monochromatic bulbs, the brochure explained (although we did not read this until later, while drinking margaritas), "emit light at such a narrow frequency that they affect our normal color perception." This made me think of astronomy. 18 years old in a large lecture hall, learning about light frequency and color. The professor, who wore glasses and had a mustache, just like I had always imagined my college professors would, produced a slide displaying the exact frequency that causes human eyes to perceive the sky as blue. The slide showed several groups of numbers. It showed sets of lines, waving in varied rhythms across the screen. It showed a color spectrum. It showed me that countless people, in presenting the color of the sky to me as the world's greatest unanswerable rhetorical question, were liars and idiots. Or maybe they had never taken a course in astronomy. But I liked my first idea better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's modern art like this that makes me want to throw things at the artist... and then call it performance art.

I am in disbelief that someone can take existing technology, in this case a Sodium Vapor lamp something you can buy at your local Walmart, fill a room with it and call it art. I guess to each their own.