Friday, May 30, 2008

Silk Therapy


When I was 19, I was introduced by both my housemate Tara, and my hairstylist Katie from Tonic, to a magnificent product known as Biosilk. Intended to help me make peace with my naturally curly hair, this silicone and silk based hair and skin product has a surprisingly distinct smell that, when worn, will cause hoardes of women to pause and cry out "Biosilk!" in their moment of joyous recognition. This happened to me today in Sugar Cafe: as I ordered my Americano, the girl behind me tentatively asked, "Excuse me, but are you wearing Biosilk in your hair?" And in fact, every time I use it, I'm instantly spirited back to that Spring in 2004, when I was 19 years old and scoured the local thrift stores for kid's T-shirts from which I would always cut the neck, so it hung off one shoulder, and when I used to have Michael Jackson dance parties in the living room with my housemates, and when I developed about 3 rolls of 36-frame B&W film each week, much to the dismay of my father, on whose dime I was living at the time. Since I haven't used it in awhile - I tried to wean myself off of it, and onto cheaper products, what with it costing about $20 for a bottle - it was a pleasant surprise to find that this effect hasn't yet been lost. So if tonight you see me wearing a T-shirt with the neck cut out, don't be surprised. And for those of you curious as to its effectiveness as a hair product, as opposed to a memory stimulant, let me just say that people buy that stuff by the gallon on e-Bay and the Santa Cruz drugstores could never keep it in stock. It's that good.

2 comments:

...z... said...

I dont know much about the bio-silk... but there is nothing wrong with memories of Spring 2004.

Julia said...

There most certainly is not. One of the best periods of my life, hands down.