Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Frightened Rabbit


I have a new favorite band: Frightened Rabbit. I'd heard a few of their songs before, but after seeing them at the Independent last week, I'm completely sold. They manage a task not many bands can - the satisfaction of my need for unabashedly catchy, semi-pop indie rock, without the guilt or embarrassment. They are undeniably charming (they're Scottish - obviously). Scott Hutchison, the frontman, rocks a voice that reminds me of a less whiny Adam Duritz (of Counting Crows fame), and the drummer, who happens to be his brother Grant, makes the best faces of any drummer besides maybe The Dodos' Logan Kroeber. The song writing has a decidedly romantic streak that steers well clear of the cloyingly sweet territory into which bands like Postal Service and Death Cab for Cutie are prone to straying. Consequently, their album boasts the best breakup song I've heard in a long time, "Good Arms vs. Bad Arms": I'm sticking to my guns, but from now it's war/I am armed with the past and the will and a brick/I might not want you back, but I want to kill him - go download it. I can see a bit of radio play sending these guys to genuine rock star status. But for now, they remain adorably free of pretention. As Scott put it at the show, "This is probably the first show where we've felt like a proper band." And they still work their own merch booth after the show. Love.



p.s. I have yet to figure out how to take good pictures without a flash on my Lumix. Apologies.

No comments: