Saturday, June 7, 2008

Let's get married on impulse!


Sometimes, when I'm not immersed in another Joan Didion novel, I read crap magazines. In fact, I really love reading crap magazines. And although I'm sure a great deal of the population would disagree with me on this point, I personally include W magazine in this category. So when indulging in a recent issue, I came across a seemingly trite article regarding Georgina Chapman's first EVER collection of wedding gown for Marchesa. Why on earth is this interesting, you might ask? (I hope you ask, anyway.) Well, apparently these frocks (they are, of course, referred to as frocks) were not designed with your traditional bride in mind. Rather, they're "aimed at the impromptu bride."

Ummmm, what?

To clarify: "The frocks will be off the rack, suitable for the woman who marries on impulse and for the last minute shopper."

Right.

I, for one, think immediately of the phrase "shotgun wedding." And I don't usually associate shotgun weddings with the class of people who would buy a Marchesa gown. But who am I to judge? Apparently Bergdorf Goodman's seems to think this is a rapidly growing niche market. Linda Fargo, one of their senior VPs, explained that "there is a market for what we loosely call the runaway bride." So, if this sounds like your niche market, make sure you leave time for a quick stop at Bergdorf's on your way to Vegas so you can make sure you're married in style.

1 comment:

Georgia Belcher said...

What is the name of this dress? it is absolutely beautiful x