Sunday, June 8, 2008

Needles and Pins


Last week, I met with an acupuncturist. CRAZY. In my first session, I must have had 25 needles in my body. Between my toes, between my fingers, on my shins above my knees, on my face, in my ears, behind my ears, and most surprising of them all, on my throat. And you know how everyone who's ever gotten acupuncture is so quick to say that it doesn't hurt? Well, they're mostly right. Several of the needles I couldn't feel at all, after the initial prick. For example, the ones in my shins and on my feet: I kind of forgot they were there at all. However, the ones in my ears definitely hurt, although the pain subsided within a few minutes. And the one in my neck didn't hurt, per se, but it was a less than comfortable sensation. Apparently it's a special pressure point, which can be felt in the roof of the mouth and the back of the throat. This point is crucial, I was told, for alleviating allergy symptoms (my main motivation for the acupuncture in the first place). In any case, thus situated, on my back and full of needles, I was commanded to "relax" for the next 15 to 20 minutes. The lights were dimmed, a hilariously new-agey CD was played - Crystal Glasses, I believe (or rather, the sound that's made when you rub your finger along the rim) - and a lavender scented eye-pillow was placed on my face. Needless to say, this was all so bizarre (and yet simultaneously so cliche) that I had difficulty relaxing at first. However, come the last several minutes, I'd say I was about ready to go to sleep. At which point the brief reverie was broken, and the needles were removed, leaving only the faintest of marks, all of which faded in the next couple days. I was then sent home with a bottle of beta carotene drops and a bottle of freeze-dried stinging nettle supplements. I have my follow-up in 2 weeks. Fuck yeah.

No comments: