Tuesday, June 24, 2008

California is on Fire


Apparently.

842 fires burning right now between Big Sur and Humboldt County. 19,000 acres are burning in Mendocino County alone, spread over 71 active fires. Then there are 9,000 acres burning in Lake County, in one massive blaze at Walker Ridge.

The level of smoke pollution right now in Northern California is a little bit ridiculous. Walking around Santa Rosa, I feel like I'm at a bonfire. In terms of particulate matter, the air quality is worse than L.A. on a bad day, or so says the Press Democrat. Smoke-sensitive folks (read: asthmatics, read: me) were advised to leave the county, or at the very least, stay inside as much as possible. There go my drive-North-to-the-river-and-swim plans. Instead, I am confined to coffee shops, etc. So sad.

This must be karma. I'm getting payback for my undeniable joy at having such a dry winter. I am so glad there are still people out there noble enough to become firefighters. Geez.

1 comment:

Andfunknee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.